Is Life Coaching Right For Me?
Some people are concerned that life coaching is therapy in disguise.
Life coaching and therapy do have similar traits and my coaching model Acceptance and Commitment Training does come from therapy (called unsurprisingly Acceptance and Commitment Therapy).
But the best way to see the difference is through the following metaphor.
Imagine you are going to run a marathon, you can either hire a doctor or a running coach to help you. If you were unhealthy and couldn't run then a running coach isn't going to help you. You need to have a certain level of health before you even attempted to run the marathon.
However, if you are healthy, then you probably need someone who can show you the best way to train, push you to run faster, the type of running shoes you need, and what to eat to be in peak performance.
While the doctor can get you ready to run a life coach can get you to the finish line.
As a life coach using Acceptance and Commitment Training I can;
- Help you clarify what is essential in your life.
- Help you develop a strategy and plan to achieve your life and career goals.
- Help you be a more effective communicator.
- Understand your emotional roadblocks and identify where you are stuck.
- Help you learn tools to cope with anxiety and stress.
- Help you with life transitions or major life challenges.
A therapist using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy would;
- Help you recover from past traumas.
- Explore why past relationships (business or personal) have been destructive.
- Work through depression or anxiety that affect your ability to function at home or work.
- Survive a divorce or loss of a loved one.
Of course, there is some crossover between life coaching and therapy and some conversations will be similar. However life coaching isn't a lite version of therapy, they have different goals and outcomes. Coaching is more about moving forward, is slightly more directive and you'll be pushed harder.
This is why it is important to make sure you are mentally able to cope with the pressures of coaching.
If you think you are ready then discover what you are capable of and book your free session below.